Project “Boat”

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of posts but I do have a big blog post today.

Over the last few months I’ve been working on a boat project. It stated when I went to check my small run about fishing boat for the new summer coming. Heard a crack when stepping onto the deck. Poked my finger down – crack!!!, got a screw driver. Small push – straight though ?? – Rotten floor. In 30 minutes I had basically ripped up the floor by hand. Fingers crossed only the floor was bad.  Nup! – the stringers that run down the middle of the boat hull to support the floor and add structural rigidity were also shot. Middle and Port side (left) were OK but had shaken loose and the fibreglass had perished. The Starboard side (Right) was like powder. BIG JOB has just arrived.

Anyhoo – What follows is a series of slide shows of different parts of the rebuild. This is not an elegant art or cool or instructional photo blog post – I made tonnes of errors and learned a lot – it’s a story blog taking you through a journey of the resurrection of something old to continue it’s life into the future.  The boat is bullet proof now and should last another 50 years – Yup built in 1967 by Caribbean International in Scorseby, Vic.

First things First – Get organised.

Measure – double check, measure again – mark cut, measure again – cut.

Use the right tools.

boat_proj01

Before you continue – the galleries may start in a random image so back track to No. 1 in the series and it’ll all make sense.

First Gallery – Stringer Replacement.

Port and Starboard stringers needed a curve to the middle at the Fore End which was achieved by a supporting jig, clamps and wedges. Bogged down for foundation and then glassed in with multiple layers.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Second Gallery – Buoyancy.

100 mm Polystyrene Foam sheet was cut to fill the cavity under floor. PVA glue was painted all over to protect the blocks of foam from polyester (Fibreglass) resin which will eat though it like alien blood through the Nostromo hull. Then cross battens were installed to support the floor joins and add further strength to the hull.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Third Gallery – Floor Down.

I had an issue with the bog I was using. It was really strong but it cured really quickly in the heat so had to resort to glass matt and resin to affix the 9mm plywood deck to the stringers, and battens in 3 sections. Aft, Mid ship and Fore decks in that order. The edges where the deck met the hull were glassed onto plywood spacers that were resined to the hull.  Along the deck where the stringers are silicon bronze nails were used to secure the deck down, plus everything possible I could put in the boat with weight to it. Rock Solid now.

boat_proj12 boat_proj13

Fourth Gallery – Seat Rebuild with a twist.

The seats had frames that were originally glassed on to the deck they were rotten at the bottom an needed a rebuild. I decided to make one removable so one set was made more rigid and deck blocks were added to act as anchor points for latches to hold it in place – a successful modification I am quite chuffed with. Once the deck had cured to the hull, glass was laid all over and the captains chair and deck anchors were installed for the modular. Then a good sand for the anti slip deck paint I got at a liquidators. 4lt for $50 – Bargain. 2 coats and then ready for final touches – electrics and bimini.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Gallery Five. Final Touches – Boat ship shape and ready to go.

When I had my recent birthday some awesome friends contributed to a gifts fund with restrictions to purchases related to Photography, Guitar/music, Motorcycle or Boat/fishing, administered by a good mate Dave. Thanks again guys.

From that I have installed a new radio/mp3 player w bluetooth phone connection, plus speakers. Ready to be the boat that rocked. While the seats were out access to the instrument panel to modify electrics and install new components was possible – another reason for the modular seat idea.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

So – There you have it. Boat Safe and Strong, ready for launching.

Please comment, like – ask questions about the project.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s